The Small Business Guide to Building a Stellar Team
Human resources is defined as: the department or support systems responsible for personnel sourcing and hiring, applicant tracking, skills development and tracking, benefits administration, and compliance with associated government regulations. Needless to say, human resources covers a lot of ground and is a critical component in any type of business.
Small businesses are growing and changing at a rapid pace and often don’t have the resources to hire a full-time HR staff member. Growing a stellar team of professionals is the best way to make sure that your business is running like a well-oiled machine. If your company can attract and retain the best workers in your industry, you will have a competitive advantage that few companies can match. So how exactly do you do that?
Tips to Attract & Retain Good Employees:
- Write a proper job description: Written properly, a job description should specify essential job functions, the knowledge, skills and abilities required of the position, as well as the physical/environment conditions of the job.
- Common interviewing mistakes to catch and correct:
- Talking too much – interviewers should only be talking 20% of the time
- First impression error — you make your decision in the first few minutes
- Negative emphasis — ONE thing goes against what you’re looking for and then NOTHING seems right
- Similar to me — for example with me: if someone adopts greyhounds, they’re CLEARLY able to do the job, right?!
- Offer Employee Rewards (Hint: they DON’T have to cost an arm and a leg)
- An extra 1/2 hour for lunch
- Lunch or breakfast with your employee(s)
- Gold stars
- Save & CloseA pat on the back (in front of their coworkers!)